Valentine’s Day gets a bad rep, but if you take away all the corny aspects (and no judgements if that’s your thing!), it’s simply a time to share love. Love for partners, friends, family, and strangers. And since our nation and society in general could use some love right about now, the holiday is extra fitting this year. Here are 10 ways to celebrate love this February 14th:
- Cook a big batch of something delicious and take it to a local food bank or to someone who is going through a lot (think divorce, infertility or a recent birth, death, or just someone who deserves it).
- Stand up for what you believe in. Today is the perfect day to get involved with an organization that you feel strongly about. Call them right now!
- Take a long walk on the beach—with or without a loved one—and pick up trash. Clear your mind while showing your respect for the environment.
- Bring co-workers goodie bags. Who doesn’t love getting a goodie bag?! And they are super easy to make! Throw in some yummy soap, tea, and maybe a bottle of wine, and let the people you work with know that you care about them.
- Tip big. Out to dinner with your partner? Spread the love by leaving your server a gracious tip.
- Visit an animal shelter. Give the lonely dogs and cats at your local shelter some love and go pet and walk them.
- Treat yourself to a massage and alone time. Remember to love yourself!
- Pay it forward, or backwards. This is the day to buy coffee for the person behind you in line…and maybe even the person behind them!
- Get insight from another couple. Call up your aunt, grandma, or a family friend who has been married for decades. Let them tell you all about their love story and their biggest tips for a successful relationship. Then share that with your partner.
- Give up gossip. A spiritual detox was mentioned here recently, and to spread the love we must remove the hate. Simply let go of negative talk and instead be kind.
Hope you have a V-day full of love! For more ideas on how to treat yourself today, read 10 ways to practice self love.