Back in January I had the pleasure of going to The Ranch Malibu for a four-day immersive wellness retreat. It was incredible, as was the strictly vegan food they served. One of my favorite snacks was their “cheesy kale chips” which I’ve made, I don’t know, maybe 10 times since returning home. They’re finger-licking good and remind me of all the not-so-good-for-you chips that I still like to sneak every now and then (usually on road trips – shhhh don’t judge!). Here’s how to make them:
Recipe: Spicy Kale Chips
1 bunch kale leaves
1/2 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 275 F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Remove leaves from the stems of the kale and roughly tear it up into large pieces. Wash and spin the leaves until thoroughly dry.
3. Add kale leaves into a large bowl. Rub the oil into the leaves until lightly coated in oil. Sprinkle on the seasoning minute and toss to combine, pressing the mixture onto the leaves.
4. Spread the kale onto the prepared baking sheet into a single layer, being sure not to overcrowd the kale (you may need more than one pan).
5. Bake for 10 minutes, rotate the pan, and bake for another 5 minutes more until the kale begins to firm up.