Since writing about my flexitarian lifestyle and sharing other tidbits about my eating habits—like my experiment with an anti-candida diet—I often get questions about what I’m eating or stocking up on at home. Because of that, I thought I’d put together a little list of grocery essentials!
We do most of our shopping at Erewhon or Whole Foods (pricey, but the best!), and obviously when they are available, I’m a huge fan of farmer’s markets.
A couple general guidelines to my grocery store trips are that I flow with seasons; the list below is what I’m buying as of late. Also, I buy everything organic, period. If the store doesn’t have the item in an organic variety, I simply skip it. The chemicals and radicals that come with eating non-organic just aren’t an option for me anymore, and my priority is safe, kind, organic food. Not only is it healthier for me and my husband, but it’s also better for our struggling environment.
Here’s my full list of what I always get on a grocery run:
- salmon (wild caught, center cut, 1/2 lb – 1 lb per fillet)
- kale/spinach/greens (anything we aren’t growing which at the moment isn’t much bc a squirrel attacked our garden)
- blueberries, lemons and haas avocados (always) plus a variety of organic seasonal fruit (grapes, peaches, kiwi’s, brown coconuts, etc.)
- a variety of fresh veggies including peppers, onions, asparagus, celery, etc. plus a few starchy veggies like squash and potatoes
- greek yogurt
- pitaya sticks
- frozen berries
- unsweetened and sweetened almond milk
- freshly ground almond butter, almonds & brazil nuts (for selenium to help my thyroid)
- fresh ginger and fresh turmeric
- raw oats
- brown rice
- fresh eggs & egg whites
- black, kidney and/or garbanzo beans
- pre-made humus and pre-made salsa
- kettle chips
- sparkling water
- espresso beans
- organic fruit juice jelly beans from the bins (soooo good! a must try!)
I love hearing what other people buy regularly, so please share your shopping list!
P.S. For more personal rules on grocery shopping, check this post.