From necklaces, bracelets and rings to ipad cases, diaries, pouches, clutches and catch-alls I’m currently alllllllll about the monogram and therefore, I LOVED this DIY by Harper Ave (whose big shiny backpacks I love, too).
How to: DIY Monogram
You will need:
Palette or saucer
Slightly damp paper towel
Print out of the monogram you want to paint (try a few different fonts and sizes)
Two acrylic paint colors
1. Read the label of the acrylic paint you get to make sure the description says suitable for leather. NEOPAQUE paint by Jacquard works well and is widely available in craft stores. Wipe the leather clean with a damp paper towel and let completely dry.
2. Cut out your favorite monogram options and pick the one that best fits the area you plan to paint.
3. Rub a pencil lightly and evenly across the backside of the paper monogram.
4. Flip the paper monogram over and tape securely to the area you want to paint. Then trace the outline of the monogram, applying firm pressure to the pencil.
5. Carefully peel the tape and monogram off, and you should have a nice transfer of the letters on the leather. Use an eraser to clean it up a bit if you are using light colored paint, as the excess graphite could tint the paint.
6. Dip your brush in some paint, blot it on a paper towel to remove excess, and very carefully start painting. Small thin strokes work best. Be careful and take your time.
7. When you finish painting the letters, let them dry for about 20 minutes, and add another coat if necessary.
8. Once all the coats are completely dry, start adding the light colored shadows.
And now I’m off to initial everything I own.
Photos: Harper Ave
I love this! The white outlining makes all the difference in dimension. Thanks for sharing! xo
Good idea. Does the paint rub off, or ruin the leather? Maybe I'll try it on faux leather first.
Loooove it a lot!! Considering to do mine:)
Love this! great post
Maybe I'll practice on a few other items before I try this on my LV (gasp).
Wardrobe on Wheels
Looks good and I always like DIY.
great, great DIY love the outlining!
I love this!! I am going to give this a try!
Awesome idea…. now what pieces of mine should I ruin?
thank u!! cool idea!!!
I love the idea! hanks a lot
Love it ! it's easy and lovely !
Very nice tutorial 🙂
And if you are interested in batik dyeing technique, check out my last blog entry!
I totally thought this was your own DIY and the initials were for "Because Geri's Addicted," hahahaha
absolutely love this idea! i have a few cross body bags that i can try this out with 🙂
Can you please do this and share it 🙂