February 10, 2016 |
When I first met my husband it was clear that he was a special human being. He has one of those charismatic perosnalities that makes everyone love him so damn much. So, when he had his heart attack, it was no surprise that he had an outpouring of love from those who have the pleasure of knowing him. What was a surprise was the many ways people showed it.
From the emails and texts to the handwritten notes to the flowers (ohhh the flowers! I think we have 30 arrangements at our house) to the food, people showed so much love, concern, generosity and kindness in all sorts of ways. Here are 21 lovely get well gift ideas (either as stand alone items or combined) to say “I care”:
1. A simple and thoughtful note (emailed, text or handwritten)
2. Bouquet of flowers
3. A robe and slippers (you can never go wrong with UGGS)
4. Meals (homemade or brought in from their favorite place)
5. Fresh fruit or dried fruit/nuts
February 9, 2016 |
Without your health you’ve got nothing which is why it’s imperative that we take good care of ourselves. Like my husbands grandma always says, “If you don’t take care of your body, where else are you going to live?”
Having just gone through a heart trauma, I’ve been adamant about educating myself on heart disease, heart function and heart care. Our reality is that heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States. Heart attacks occur for different reasons – family history, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, age, drug, etc. – and the best thing we can do for ourselves is try to lower the risk.
Here are eight diet habits for a healthy heart:
1. No smoking. Period the end.
2. Exercise. Daily physical activity can help raise high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the “good” cholesterol), strengthens your heart, can lower blood pressure, burns off stress, boosts your mood and helps you sleep better.
3. Follow the mediterranean diet. Eat primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables (and A LOT of them), whole grains, legumes and nuts. If you can avoid meat all together you are better off.
February 8, 2016 |
I like to keep good go-to quotes in my back pocket for whenever I may need them. Recently I’ve been calling upon three of my favorite strength quotes and I wanted to pass them on…
What quotes help give you strength?