Given that this week’s wellness challenge is all about cutting processed sugar (how’s everyone doing with this?!) and instead, opting for healthier, more natural options like raw honey and sugar from fruits, I thought it was only appropriate to share a delicious recipe that will help us all stick to our goal.
These vegan gluten free banana date muffins by Gwyneth Paltrow, from her book ‘It’s All Good,’ are sweetened by nature’s finest ingredients and are proof that sweets don’t need the extra processed sugar to be absolutely DELICIOUS!
Fair warning: I’ve made these four times since discovering the recipe. They’re addicted! Here’s how to make them yourself:
Gwyneth Paltrow’s Vegan Gluten-Free Banana Date Muffins
2 cups gluten free flour (I use Bob’s Gluten Free Red Mill 1-to1 Baking Flour)
2 tsps baking powder
2 tsps baking soda
Pinch of sea salt
2 bananas, mashed
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup real maple syrup
2/3 cup almond milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped + extra to top muffins with
1. Preheat oven to 400F/200C and line a muffin sheet with muffin tins.
2. Mix together the flour, baking power, baking soda and salt.
3. In another bowl, mash the bananas and then mix in the olive oil, maple syrup, almond milk and vanilla.
4. Thoroughly combine the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients.
5. Toss the dates and pumpkin seeds in a tablespoon or so of flour – this keeps them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins and then fold them into the batter.
6. Divide the batter into muffin tins and sprinkle each muffin with a few pumpkin seeds.
7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
8. Let cool & ENJOY!