June 8, 2015 |
Even though we strive to eat clean and healthy all year round, bikini season is here! It’s time to crack down on foods that make us look and feel great. It’s important to focus on whole, nutrient-dense ingredients to make sure we are receiving maximum nutritional value from everything we eat. Each of the super foods listed in this video have unique health benefits that can aid in weight loss – but don’t discount regular exercise!
Here’s what you should start adding to your everyday meals:
- Avocado: It’s packed with fiber and protein. The oleic acid helps you feel full.
- Eggs: They’re loaded with protein, think of them as fuel to burn calories.
- Almonds: Super rich in healthy fats such as omega-3 fatty acids.
- Salmon: A perfect lean protein loaded with monounsaturated fats.
- Green Tea: Rich in antioxidants that hyrates, while helping to burn calories and fat.
- Watercress: This is a cancer-fighter that boosts energy & speeds recovery time after workouts.
- Radishes: Small snacks with low calorie count that are fiber in fiber, potassium and Vitamin C.
- Blueberries: A powerhouse of antioxidants and fiber that help you feel full.
- Chia Seeds: High in fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Dark Chocolate (over 60%): High in monounsaturated fats, it revs your metabolism and curbs cravings!
December 22, 2014 |
If you’re having a holiday dinner party and are looking for a dish that WOWS, this is it!
Adopted from our friends over at Goop, this braised chicken recipe is so good it quite literally falls off the bone. There is a hefty cooking time, but it’s low-maintenance and simple enough that anyone can make it. The delicious flavors of tomato and the surprising secret ingredient of cinnamon make for a perfect holiday dish.
Here’s how you make it:
1 whole chicken, chopped into 8 pieces
1 medium to large yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 14-oz whole peeled Italian tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cinnamon stick
Fresh ground pepper
Romano cheese, grated
Parsley, for garnish
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper and lightly coat with cinnamon and massage
2. Over high heat, coat large pot with olive oil
3. Once the oil is hot, sear chicken for 1 minute on each side (until skin is browned)
4. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and set aside
5. Lower heat to medium and add onions, stir for one minute until soft then add garlic, let cook for one more minute
6. Add chicken broth, cinnamon stick, canned tomatoes, salt and pepper
7. Stir and bring to a simmer
8. Add chicken pieces back into the pot, making sure they’re submerged in liquid
9. Simmer for about two hours uncovered (chicken should be tender & falling off the bone)
10. Garnish with parsley and top with romano cheese
Watch a video on this recipe RIGHT THIS WAY!
October 31, 2014 |
I went there: Spiced, Spiked Pumpkin Pie Latte. This dessert-worthy drink is a celebration of fall. The yummy pumpkin spices, warm latte and (recommended) shot of bourbon will keep you nice and cozy for the cool nights to come.
To celebrate all things Fall and the fact that I hit 130k+ YouTube subscribers (woot!) I’m hosting a giveaway featuring a handmade, custom gift box for one lucky LEAF girl!
All of the details to enter are right this way.
Here’s how you make it:
– Small pot of strong coffee
– 1 cup skim milk (or 1%, soy, almond)
– 1 tbsp canned pumpkin
– 1 tbsp sugar
– 1 tbsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 tsp fresh shaved cinnamon
– 1 oz bourbon (optional but recommended)
1. Brew 1 pot of strong coffee
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, add: skim milk, pumpkin & sugar
3. Stir until steaming then take off heat & add: vanilla extract & shaved cinnamon
4. Whisk until frothy
5. Fill mug half way with coffee, half way with pumpkin mixture
6. Add bourbon
7. Top with whipped cream & a dash of cinnamon