This is a guest post from Sam Negrin | creator and EIC of AllGoodHealth.net and editorial manager of LEAFtv If you didn’t have skin problems as a teen, you’re lucky. But for most of us, acne and inflammation have been a regular occurrence for years. If you feel like you’re way too old to be worrying about constant acne, you aren’t alone! Skin is a tricky thing and I, for one, have tried (almost) everything. Dozens of dermatologists prescribing specialty ointments, pills, creams, brand name ‘acne treatments’ that cost over $100/bottle… you name it: my bathroom cabinet had it. Well, I finally got completely fed up with my overflowing cabinet of products that worked for 3-4 weeks and then suddenly stopped. So, I tried a different method. ALL NATURAL! That’s right. I tossed everything, bought a lemon, and started fresh.
Here are 5 tips that worked for me, and I am certain will help you on your journey to glowing skin.
1. Alkaline Your Body. This is extremely important to keeping a healthy gut (digestive tract), which directly correlates to the skin. But what does “alkaline” mean? Our body has different pH levels – ranging from acidic to alkalized. High acidity can lead to acid reflux, heart burn, digestive issues, acne, inflammation and discomfort. Today, the average person tends to lean towards the acidic side – you can pick up a pH strip at the drug store to measure yourself. In any case, research shows that balancing pH first thing in the morning leads to clearer skin and reduced inflammation. You can do this by drinking warm water with lemon or adding 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar to a glass of water coupled with a daily probiotic.
2. You Are What You Eat. I can’t stress this enough. Your skin forms from the inside-out. High sugar and dairy intake can cause inflammation and disruption under the skin, which are a big cause of those terrible cysts. By nourishing your entire body with nutrient-dense foods that have a high amount of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, iron, essential fats and zinc, you are doing your skin a major favor. Think: dark leafy greens, fruit & veggies with rich colors (beets, carrots, peppers, blueberries), and anything probiotic (kombucha, yogurt). Here are 7 foods that can help. You can still treat yourself of course, but if you’re having skin problems, be careful with the sugar- and dairy-rich foods for up to 2 months and notice the results.
3. Drink Lot of H2O! Staying hydrated is essential. Drinking a substantial amount of water keeps your entire body functioning properly, notably: digestive system, which translates to glowing, dewey skin. Keep a water bottle with you at all times, and make sure to re-fill it throughout the day. No more excuses.
4. Use Good Quality Products. Our skin forms from the inside-out, but we can drastically alter it by what we put on top. Find a skincare brand and makeup line you trust, this may take some trial-and-error. I personally love using plant-based organic products that include ingredients I actually understand (this is one of my favorites). Use non-comedogenic makeup, which is specially formulated to not block pores.
5. Get Your Beauty Sleep. Sleep is so important, and not only for the sake of our skin, but our entire being. We should be aiming for 8 hours/night, but 6 at an absolute minimum.
Dish on any of your natural skin tips in the comments below!