I often look at fruits, vegetables and flowers and think, “Wow, it’s remarkable that this just grows straight out of the earth.” Vibrant, tasty AND full of nutrients? It’s almost too good to be true but it is in fact true and we are incredibly fortunate for this beautiful planet we call Earth.
That leads me to coconuts…between the oil, meat and water, there are so many incredible benefits to these hard round “drupes.” Coconuts are highly nutritious and rich in fiber, vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous.
One of the easiest ways to take advantage of coconuts is through coconut water (I like this brand). Coconut water is low in calories, naturally fat and cholesterol free, has more potassium than bananas, and is super hydrating. Plus, there are so many ways to use coconut water other than just drinking it – here are five, some unexpected – uses for coconut water:
- Stock: Use as a replacement for regular water when cooking rice (<–so good), beans and/or grains.
- Dressing: Mix 1 part olive oil, 1 part lemon juice, salt & pepper, and 3 parts coconut water – shake and enjoy!
- Iced Coffee: Replace milk with coconut water for a sweet & refreshing coffee (I also like blending coconut butter into my coffee, a post on that coming soon).
- Face Mist: Hydrate your skin with a coconut water mist. Simply pour coconut water into a little spray bottle and spritz away. Bonus tip: add a few drops of your favorite essential oil (I love jasmine, rose geranium and eucalyptus) for a lovely scent.
- Hangover Cure: Packed with electrolytes, coconut water can help nurse you back to life when you have a bloody hangover. Chug coconut water when you get home from a wild night out and drink it first thing when you wake up.
What else do you use coconut water for?