Cut to years later, my skin has cleared up (thank gd!) and I’m religious about my skin care. I’ve found that it’s a delicate balance of diligiently following my skin care commandments, adjusting as I go, using quality products and working on my glow from the inside out.
Here are the skin care rules I swear by:
1. Wash my face every single night. No ifs, ands, or buts.
2. SPF every single day. I’m currently using Kate SomervilleDaily Deflector™ Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 50.
3. I try to keep my hands off my face as much as possible and never ever pick.
4. I make sure to eat for my skin by including lots of hydrating greens, good fats, antioxidants, low sodium and I don’t eat anything processed.
5. Drink tons of water. I’m generally not a good water drinker so I use the WaterMinder app. It keeps track of the amount you drink and reminds you to take sips all day long.
6. When washing my face in the shower, I always wash my face last so that I wash away the residue from other products that may potentially cause breakouts.
7. When I shower in the morning, if I haven’t worked out, am not washing my hair (see #6) and haven’t applied anything to my face that morning, I don’t wash my face with soap. I get too dry if I wash too many times and save the additional washes for #11.
8. When applying face wash, cream or makeup, I’m very gentle. Harsh rubbing and pulling on the skin wears on skin elasticity.
9. I exercise regularly. Natural glowing skin comes from a healthy body and exercise is one of the best things we can do for ourselves. With the exception of hot yoga or spinning, my skin always looks best after a great workout because it gets my blood pumping and the endorphins flowing. The key is following #10.
10. If I have on makeup before I workout I always wash my face AND equally if not more important, I always wash my face after working out. Makeup layered with sweat is a recipe for disaster and so is a clean face covered with perspiration.
11. Quality products when it comes to skin care and makeup matter (a detailed follow up product post to come). They don’t have to be expensive but they need to be good quality, otherwise it’s breakout city.
12. I believe in facials. They make a difference for me so I try to go at least every other month. Monthly would be ideal but it rarely happens with my schedule.
13. I regularly wash my makeup brushes. A tedious job but it makes a difference.
14. When my skin starts to get bad and is consistently getting worse, I usually switch up my products because whatever I’m using is no longer working.
15. If I breakout on my forehead and/or around my hair line, I change out my hair products.
16. Sleep, sleep, sleep and more sleep. Your skin cells regenerate while sleeping so it’s important to get your beauty rest.
17. Stress relief is a priority. Whether it’s working out, painting, meditating or reading, I have to find ways to alleviate stress otherwise the stress shows all over my face.
18. Fun. In my opinion, happy girls are the prettiest girls. Laughing is medicine for the soul and nothing makes your skin look better than a happy face. Cheesy? A little bit but you know it’s true!
What skin care tips do you swear by?