How is it already December you guys?! The holiday season is in full swing, and I’m trying to wrap up my gift shopping this week (I usually wait until the last minute). Instead of stalking my usual stores, I’m trying something different this year in an effort to give back – and basically trying to buy as many gifts as possible from companies that donate to charities. Here are a handful that I’ve found to be go-to’s for this cause:
1. TOMS – While the company got its start (and fame) from selling shoes, they actually do so much more. Their slogan is “One for One” – for every item sold, they will give one to a person in need in underdeveloped countries. They don’t just sell shoes though – for every pair of sunglasses or glasses sold, they provide vision care to a person in need. And for every bag sold, they provide a safe birth for a child and mother in need. What’s even cooler is that over 2 million shoes have been distributed to people in need so far, and there has been a huge increase in maternal health from the sales of their bags, too!
2. Pura Vida Bracelets – This company sells jewelry, clothing, swimwear and accessories – all for a good cause. All of their waterproof bracelets are handmade by local artisans in Costa Rica, providing more than 150 people there with full-time jobs. The brand also sells charity bracelets that support over 200 different charities – each bracelet supports a different cause. Perhaps for a girlfriend or mom?
3. Project 7 – If you’re looking for perfect (and edible!) stocking stuffers, look no further. This company sells gummy bears in flavors like champagne and mojito – they even have special holiday flavors like old fashioned and moscow mule for any cocktail lovers. For each item purchased, they make a donation to different charities, like Children’s Hunger Fund, Feeding America, and Lifewater. Pretty cool, right?
4. Hand in hand – This skincare brand sells sustainable (and vegan) soaps, lotions and sugar scrubs. For each product bought, Hand in Hand donates one bar of soap AND one month of clean water to a child in need. To date, more than 1 million bars of soap have been donated! I’m obsessed with their lavender scented items for myself, and I can’t wait to gift some of their other scents, like coral and sea salt, for the holidays.
5. Warby Parker: This company makes vintage-inspired eyewear and operates on the buy one-give one system as well. For every pair of eyeglasses or sunglasses you purchase, they will donate a pair of glasses to someone who needs them.
Since most of us are shopping for gifts anyway, we might as well shop for a good cause at the same time, no? Are there any other places you shop at that donate to charities? Would love to hear!
I’m so glad that you highlighted some of my favorites and also introduced me to a few new brands that do good! I’m really excited about checking out Hand in hand!
Absolutely love it!
Mireia from TGL
Love this post, thanks dear 🙂
Have you heard of thelittlemarket.com? I haven’t shopped through them yet, but I love their approach. They work with women vendors in developing countries to create every product by hand, and the money goes straight back to them. I even heard the team (Lauren Conrad is one of the founders) doesn’t take a salary so more can go to the women and their communities. THANK YOU for sharing this! It’s so much more meaningful than another standard gift guide.
Thanks for sharing,your recommendations always are good
This is such an awesome post! With all the Christmas shopping I will be doing, I’ll definitely keep these places in mind. Might as well do some good for sure 🙂 Thank you for the suggestions!
Mia | http://www.verymuchmia.com