New year, new skincare tool obsession. First came the jade roller, then the ice roller, then the Nurse Jamie uplifting massager (all of which I still love!). But for 2020, it’s alllll about gua sha. TBH when I first say Melissa Wood (major girl crush) using the technique, I ignored it since I was already fully supplied with skin tools mentioned in the last sentence. And then I saw her use it again and again and eventually, I was influenced. It’s now a staple in my skincare routine and honestly, I can’t really go a day without it. Here’s why I’m addicted:
- More so than the jade roller, I love the shape of this option. It’s created to fit perfectly in between your cheekbones and jawline, and then also your upper and lower eye. There are a few different cuts of the rose quartz but I’m obsessed with this one.
- It relieves facial tension in your face’s muscles (similar to a facial massage). Hence why it feels like a massage! I use it morning and night, but especially in the morning, my face craves it. Even if I’m super short on time, I put on this oil and then use my gua sha and my face feels alive.
- It helps with lines and wrinkles. It’s even called “the botox of the Far East” and some people swear it can replace the need for botox (at least such intense treatments or as often). Obviously a skin tool probably can’t actually replace botox, but if botox isn’t your thing, it’s a good option.
- It enhances blood flow to the face and truly creates a healthy glow when I use it daily.
Now, let’s talk about how to use it. It’s all about the technique when it comes to gua sha so you want to use it correctly.
- First up, watch this tutorial.
- Before you use it, apply oil so it can glide across your skin. My personal favorite combo is this calming oil and gua sha.
- You can use it on the body, but I haven’t yet.
- Use a gentle hand, as you do with most face tools.
- If you want a cooling technique, place your tool in the fridge for 10 minutes before using it.
Have you tried gua sha? LMK!
I’ve just started using a Gua Sha this year and I love it! Makes my skin feel so much more alive and less puffy, but I do find that you need to be consistent with it! xx